Saturday, February 21, 2015

An Interesting New Chess Clock

I recently stumbled upon a terrific looking new chess clock that is in its final development stages. Developed by Shelby Lohrman, he recently trialed the clock at the Amateur Team East tournament. There is a thread on the USCF website about the clock which seems to have generated a slightly negative reaction, which surprised me. Some people said the clock didn't have enough presets, others said it was going to be too expensive. Well, for one the clock is still in the beta stages and it's possible more presets will be added. Secondly, you can always customize the time controls and save them as favorites. Finally, the suggested prices being thrown around were roughly comparable with the Chronos, which would be this clock's main competitor. As a Chronos owner myself, I know how hard it can be to set properly. I am now used to it but, every now and then, I have to consult the manual if I need to set it to an unusual time control.



Lohrman has three videos up on YouTube about the as yet unnamed clock. From what I can see, it offers several advantages over the Chronos:

1) Easier to set
2) Larger display that includes a second line of text that shows information about the time control, can show a move counter, etc.
3) The ability to copy settings and presets from one clock to another
4) An external battery cover (us Chronos owners know what a hassle it is to have to carry a screwdriver in our chess bags!)

So far, I can see a few disadvantages to the Chronos as well:

1) It seems to have far fewer presets, as forum posters have noted, but my hope is that will change as the clock gets closer to its launch date
2) The price is likely to be comparable to the Chronos but, as the Chronos price seems to have decreased in recent months, the new clock might end up being more expensive
3) It uses the older Chronos style plunger buttons which are great for tactile feedback but wear out more easily

I should also note that I have no idea what the build quality will be like. Those who saw the clock at the Amateur Team East can perhaps attest to that. From the videos, however, it looks sturdy and it very much resembles the Chronos, just with a larger display.

I will be keeping an eye on developments with the clock with keen interest.

Here is a link to a YouTube video introducing the clock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3huaFY0L9o

No comments:

Post a Comment